21 January 2017

I'm New Here

I'm New Here

Er…hello. I’m really sorry if I’m interrupting anything. Feel free to ignore me.

Now I know that’s not really what a blog is for – a blog is supposed to get you noticed – but I find being the centre of attention really hard. I’m an only child and I grew up in so much cotton wool I literally had to spit it out of my mouth to speak to other children. Confident, outgoing children. Children with siblings to knock their corners off, to fight and argue and compete with, to stop them being like me…shy.

You never stop being shy. Over the years I have developed coping strategies for everyday situations but ask me to stand in the spotlight or step out onto the stage and uh, no thanks, I'd rather not. So I’ll just creep onto the blogosphere from the wings and lurk here for a bit.

If you don’t believe how afraid of attention I am, believe me when I say I’ve had ‘Create Blog’ on my to-do list for more than two years. I’ve got to the point of almost doing it several times but then stopped short, shy. But now, buoyed up by the encouragement of a fantastic writing friend I’ve decided to stop shying away from it and just do it!

The main purpose of this blog is to let people see some of the stuff I've written, mainly some short stories I’ve won prizes with. I've uploaded two to start with - tabs at the top of the page will take you there - and I'll add a few more later. I’ll also be talking about being a writer a bit which will hopefully inspire me, to make me be the writer I’ve always wanted to be. If it inspires you, or if you enjoy reading any of my stories, then that’s great too. 

8 comments:

  1. Bravo Lorraine! You've made a truly fabulous move, and I salute you heartily, both as a fellow writer, and as a sufferer of the painfully shy malarky. I look so forward to reading your writing journey. Thank you for sharing. Nancy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to keeping up to date with what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations from another shy writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know something Lorraine - Yes I did think of you once as 'quiet', but having known you for a few years now, I honestly think I have seen you emerge from that shyness into a confident fellow Scoobier who takes part and organises - thanks for what you do for us in Southampton meetings - and for what you do for the conferences and for being a good friend to us all.xxx

    ReplyDelete